Author Topic: Engine mounted lube filter query  (Read 652 times)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Engine mounted lube filter query
« on: 22 Aug , 2019, 12:50 »

As our beloved Mr. Tore is away on vacation/holiday, I have a question for anyone that may have the answer (I'm looking at you, Don). I know U-995 in its current configuration has the dual oil filter canisters fitted to the lube circuit at the front of the engine. I would assume this was because the smaller canisters were easier to source elements for as opposed to the large single canister that was removed. I was also image they were run only one at a time so that a filter could be changed "on the fly" while engine was operating.

That all said, was the large filter removed and the small canisters fitted when it went to Norway after the war? In the photo of someone else's build of a non-Trumpeter build, it has both types of canisters. I'm sure it had just the large one during the war.

Am I correct in my assumption?
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Re: Engine mounted lube filter query
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug , 2019, 13:47 »
You know, I really need to look at what I posted myself. Obviously those are fuel filters, not lube oil filters. I posted a translation on my U-Historia thread with a picture and identification callouts just as plain as day.

I think I need a secretary for all of this data. I can't keep track anymore.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct , 2019, 04:00 »

Katuna.
Lube oil filters ME U 995. I guess you got a bit confused by the ME model image. The model is possibly trying to be of the old direct reversible execution of the GW main engines (before 1942) having a vertical reversing cylinder on the top of the engine to displace the camshaft having double cams , (ahead and astern cams.). As from 1943, hence U 995, this reversingcylinder is removed as the engines were nonreversible. As you correctly remarked the double filter up front of the engine are double fuelfilters between the daytank(setlingtank) and the fuelinjectorpumps, not clearly shown and hence unnoticed is an extra common supplypipe knife-filter fitted on the camshaft casing.

Tore

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct , 2019, 08:21 »

Tore - Very interesting. Was this a common modification on all GW engines in 1942? I ask because I'm modelling my boat in late '43.

Welcome back, by the way. We missed you around here.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct , 2019, 09:24 »

Katuna, yes I guess so. Especially the VIIC/41 like U 995. because of the increased diving depth involving strengthening the pressurehull ( extra weight)  and no change in the output of the , a main engines a weight reduction was required, hence the reversing of the diesels was sacrificed. Some rudiments from the reversing was still kept as can be seen on my image below, but the double cams and the heavy reversingcylinder were removed. Manoeuvring by electric motors is easy and you save a lot of HP air.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Oct , 2019, 09:26 by tore »