Author Topic: COAT FOR UBOOT  (Read 8463 times)

gabriele

COAT FOR UBOOT
« on: 29 Nov , 2010, 03:32 »
What is this? a strait-jacket, a coat ...?  :o :o :o photographs are unclear, as was done this piece? was bound with leather straps? have clear photos or technical drawing of this strange gadget really, nice next model uboot....CIAO
« Last Edit: 29 Nov , 2010, 03:35 by Legio XIII »

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Re: COAT FOR UBOOT
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov , 2010, 04:42 »
Hi

Nice catch.
It's an "ice cap" (written just under the picture) Might be an "ice breaker", a protection for the bow...
Thanks for posting.
 ;)
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

gabriele

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov , 2010, 06:26 »
Hi

Nice catch.
It's an "ice cap" (written just under the picture) Might be an "ice breaker", a protection for the bow...
Thanks for posting.
 ;)
[/  quote]

I knew it, I but the designs ...  :'((Photos unclear   ??? ???) to build this ice-cape in scale1/72  ;) ;),the pictures are dark :'( ,I'm sorry if I write "hard". but my English is Google traslator .... excuse,Pepper-mint, my expression  ;)

ciao
« Last Edit: 29 Nov , 2010, 11:02 by Legio XIII »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 01:55 »
Yes, it an "ice breaker" for protecting the bow. I found a pictures of it being used on a U-boat a few weeks back on the internet  (can not remember where :() while I was doing my research on the schnorchel.

gabriele

« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 04:05 »
Yes, it an "ice breaker" for protecting the bow. I found a pictures of it being used on a U-boat a few weeks back on the internet  (can not remember where :() while I was doing my research on the schnorchel.

The great problem is to find designs to build it in 1 / 72 ;) ;)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 10:01 »
I am sure from the same web site as the pictures of "ice breaker" I saw, someone had made a 1:72 scale of the "ice breaker" for his/her model u-boat.

gabriele

« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 12:21 »
I am sure from the same web site as the pictures of "ice breaker" I saw, someone had made a 1:72 scale of the "ice breaker" for his/her model u-boat.
:P :P :P :P GREAT news for me this  :P :P , you can find it for me???? thanks so much  ;D you have name website ??CIAOOOOO
« Last Edit: 01 Dec , 2010, 12:28 by Legio XIII »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 12:43 »
I sorry I can not remember the web site :( :( All I remember about the web site, it was a non-English web site.

gabriele

« Reply #8 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 12:50 »
I sorry I can not remember the web site :( :( All I remember about the web site, it was a non-English web site.

Thanks also for your time, sooner or later it will come out  ;)

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 08:47 »
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-756Photos.htm

A couple of pics of somebody going over the side in April '42 to repair the ice shield (is he out of his mind!?!  That water would be just above freezing!) show the bolts connecting the ice shiled support frame.

About halfway down, there's a picture "The ship's boat is removed from its storage compartment.." and if you look forward, you can see the metal frames with bolts securing the ice shield at the bow of U-756.  There also seems to be a cable running through the fairleads on either side just where the deck grating starts and then back to the bollards.

The next picture and the second picture after that show views of the ice shield from the ship's boat from a distance of perhaps 100 metres or so away. 

It looks like the frames holding the shield go back as far as the anchor well, which means that it would cover the torpedo shutters, so I'm not sure how it would work in practice without the boat having to surface and remove the shield before firing.

Since these pictures seem to be when the boat was on sea trials and training before being officially accepted into the Kriegsmarine, it could be just a temporary cover not used in actual frontboots.

gabriele

« Reply #10 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 09:44 »

A couple of pics of somebody going over the side in April '42 to repair the ice shield (is he out of his mind!?!  That water would be just above freezing!) show the bolts connecting the ice shiled support frame.

About halfway down, there's a picture "The ship's boat is removed from its storage compartment.." and if you look forward, you can see the metal frames with bolts securing the ice shield at the bow of U-756.  There also seems to be a cable running through the fairleads on either side just where the deck grating starts and then back to the bollards.

The next picture and the second picture after that show views of the ice shield from the ship's boat from a distance of perhaps 100 metres or so away. 

It looks like the frames holding the shield go back as far as the anchor well, which means that it would cover the torpedo shutters, so I'm not sure how it would work in practice without the boat having to surface and remove the shield before firing.

Since these pictures seem to be when the boat was on sea trials and training before being officially accepted into the Kriegsmarine, it could be just a temporary cover not used in actual frontboots.
Pat, you have great Hawkeye in seeing the details!! Thanks for the link. The ice shield used only for maneuvering in port, I always hope to find technicals drawings...for Uboot 1/72,what do you think?also se not  exactly U-756....Thanks  e Ciaoooooooooo
« Last Edit: 04 Dec , 2010, 10:03 by Legio XIII »

gabriele

« Reply #11 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 10:16 »

A couple of pics of somebody going over the side in April '42 to repair the ice shield (is he out of his mind!?!  That water would be just above freezing!) show the bolts connecting the ice shiled support frame.

About halfway down, there's a picture "The ship's boat is removed from its storage compartment.." and if you look forward, you can see the metal frames with bolts securing the ice shield at the bow of U-756.  There also seems to be a cable running through the fairleads on either side just where the deck grating starts and then back to the bollards.

Pat, you have great Hawkeye in seeing the details!! Thanks for the link. The ice shield used only for maneuvering in port, I always hope to find technicals drawings...for Uboot 1/72,what do you think?also se not  exactly U-756....
PS:  I think photo simulation , and sea water hot, you see the sailor is in his underwear.......
« Last Edit: 04 Dec , 2010, 10:27 by Legio XIII »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec , 2010, 07:07 »
You're welcome Legio.

That makes sense that the ice shield would only be used when coming into port.  Normally, with the exception of bergs, ice is mostly around the coasts so they'd have to worry about it more when coming port, especially if it's a sheltered bay where the ice can collect.

When you look at the pics, you can figure out how the shield was attached and held in place.  Quite simple actually.

Yes, probably hot water handy to warm him up and most likely the swimmer was coated in heavy grease of some sort to keep the cold away for a short time.  Still, I wouldn't like to go overboard in the winter and underneath a (moving?) U-boat to make the connections.

Hmmmm, I've seen some before pics of a ringbolt in the stem of some U-boat, but not in others.  Obviously not something that all of them had.  The ringbolt was underwater, somewhere just below or level with the lower torpedo shutter.  I wonder if that was only in northern boats and was the attachment point that this swimmer was diving down to connect the ice shiled to?  It would make sense to keep it in place to have a bolthole there.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec , 2010, 07:48 »
ice shield at 20. April 1942?
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec , 2010, 18:27 »
Hi Legio

Not sure if you see this before, but here U-118 with a "ice breaker" from uboatarchive.net

Full link http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-118Photos.htm