Author Topic: Revell U-Boat Type 206 A  (Read 3683 times)

alpkop

Revell U-Boat Type 206 A
« on: 02 Jul , 2011, 15:11 »
Hi to all, new here, actually im a diecast car collector but also a fan of plastic kits since my childhood.

For about 20 years im not building models so i decided to make one  ;D ;D and the i saw the Type 206A from my dealer shop. And the story began.

I decided to put it in a little diorama with some figures and vehicles. But then i saw that the color of the base wood is not accurate to this diorama, i painted the base to matt grey but it looks awfull (no pictures). I think i'll throw away this wooden base  >:( >:( :)

What do you suggest for this situation? do i need dioramic materials from model railway systems or?

click for bigger picture:

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Revell U-Boat Type 206 A
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul , 2011, 19:02 »
Personally I think a wooden base is fine, it's all in the details!

If you want grey for concrete, I would go with some kind of press/fiberboard/chipboard, and skim it with some kind of plaster, with slab lines, etc. That would look better than just painted.

As for a wood-wood base, almost any wood can work with the right stain, but something hard is better than soft pine. I just go to the hardware store, the bigger ones with timber sections. When I was in the US I would get oak, because it's very hard and is gorgeous. Here in Australia they have Meranti, which I guess is some kind of exotic wood. (Technically it covers 4 types of hardwood). It's a darkish pinky/brown (depends on specific subtype), and not bad but not too beautiful, but hard. Stain that and it looks gorgeous!

For my Type VIIC I used two types of stain and blended, so it looked alive with character and not like a piece of stained wood. I'm doing the same for my Gato (did the base early, not sure why!), and I used 2 different stains to the other so it doesn't match the VIIC - not sure why i feel they shouldn't match! Anyway, the 2 or 3 stain effect is much nicer than just one. And if you get a darkish hardwood, just clear varnish/urethane warms it.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

alpkop

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul , 2011, 19:13 »
i see,

actually, i have no problem with the wood color and the submarine,  my problem is that the bus and figures, they dont looks and stays realistic on the wood. They need may be a concrete base as you mentioned. I applied concrete-like sprya color to the base, but then the "boutique" style of the base and sight is gone.  :-\ :-\

I think i'll cancel the diorama and will display the Submarine lonely  ;) :)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul , 2011, 05:03 »
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally think you need a base and that you CAN do it! How about another practice on some scrap?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz