Author Topic: type XXIII 1/72; another long term project  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
type XXIII 1/72; another long term project
« on: 20 Feb , 2013, 12:24 »
Hello,

I know that the VII project is far from completing, however i think it would be fun to start the Gato, type XXIII or the type II, personally i've chosen the XXIII, since it is smaller, and design should be smooth and swift plus i have excellent drawings for her. Do not worry, for the rest the keel will be laid sooner or later ;)

here is the early concept, ill be doing as if would be whole hull closed, then later on i will cut out the openings at the appropriate height to show the interior.
i would gladly accept any criticism, photos, additional schematics or anything that might improve the design.
the journey begins...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: type XXIII 1/72; another long term project
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb , 2013, 21:01 »
Mmmmmmm, XXIII, nice
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb , 2013, 15:15 »
a little bit of update; i have completed pressure hull (without conning tower, which has to be checked if it is not too big in terms of length, well kind-a, i decided to display it ghosted so you can imagine all of the ribbing and reinforcements inside:

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb , 2013, 09:12 »
Since i've made intersections of the main components yesterday evening, now after slicing, everything may be displayed properly in layers:

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb , 2013, 09:39 »
 :D  Very nice! Always been interested in the Type XXIII.
Dan

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb , 2013, 15:59 »
always nice to hear a cheer up on the project :)
thanks Dan, well i spent pretty quite some hours chopping up the bottom pressure hull, here are first results:
1) forward storage compartment
2) battery section
3) above - munition and supplies storage (not parted yet)
    below - trim tanks (starboard and port) & sewage cell (starboard) & freshwater cell (port) (not parted yet)
4) beneath engine compartment are dive tanks, fuel tanks, bilge water cell, ballast cell, and another fuel tank (not parted yet)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb , 2013, 06:24 »
i remeasured the conning tower, and it proved too long, so i shaved off around 6 millimeters - looks like in there was only small basic periscope, ladder and few more bits and pieces..., also it is starting to look as an interior slowly, still have to form the conning tower walls
if anyone has knowledge around type XXIII, please confirm the correctness, or if should i remodel something:

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb , 2013, 11:35 »
hm, i would need a little bit of advice:
do you consider better
variant 1 trim tanks, which are more accurate - without holes connecting port and starboard tank  (faster to produce, less material), or
variant 2 trim tanks with interconnecting holes, which adds to final depth of the interior (this extends the process of printing, and amount of material sintered)

also keep in mind that i will have to add periscope stowage tube which goes right through middle and might intersect with these holes, so i might have to exclude one or two of them...
public opinions please?  8)

note, even if a solid piece will be used, i could dress it up with guiding stowage tubes for periscope, air intake mast stowage, and miscellaneous buts and pieces

var1:

var2:

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar , 2013, 12:04 »
little bit of update, outward batteries line will be removed, since the rest are not visible in that case..

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar , 2013, 07:13 »
 8)  Looking good so far! Great work for someone willing to do an interior for the new kit!
Dan